Click to see

Click to see
Obama countdown

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Canadians -- You Either Love Them or Hate Them




Since the late '60's I have had a love / mostly hate relationship with Canada and Canadians.

My friends think I am being hard, but most don't know the source of my somewhat bitter feelings toward our northern neighbors.

It all stems back to the Vietnam war when, for years, they lent refuge to draft dodgers from the US. Those draft dodgers could have declared themselves “contentious objectors” and could have served in a non-combat role. Instead, they headed north, on-the-lamb deserters, but accepted with open arms in Canada.

Then, in Vietnam as a fighter pilot flying missions over North Vietnam as far north as Vihn, but hearing from my “F-105 Thud” driving buds of seeing the Canadian Maple Leaf on ocean transports supplying the North Vietnamese in Haiphong Harbor, my feelings toward Canada solidified.

Over the years, I have met many here in the US. Mostly here on a green card, they were taking jobs that a citizen of the US should have had and, almost to the person, criticizing the USA, our foreign policies, what they thought was wrong with Bush and the Right, ad nauseum. Also, when asked whether or not they were going to apply for US citizenship, the answer was invariably, “Why would I want to do that?”

Generally, I would would reply by simply telling them that I always considered Canadians as Brits without balls. I also reminded them that, if it were not for the good old US of A, they would probably be speaking Spanish and eating tortillas.

I always had a way of endearing myself to the hapless blokes. Needless to say, I really never got along with many Canadians.

I have seen isolated incidents of brilliance. The morning of September 11, 2001, the Canadians of Northeast Canada, mostly Newfoundland, places like Goosebay and Gander opened their small communities to the passengers and crews of airliners that were forced to land. Some of their guests stayed days in people's homes, gymnasiums, hospital wards and police stations until it was deemed safe for them to continue their journeys to the US. For that show of unlimited compassion for fellow humans, I will always praise them.

Also, some of the best fishing I have ever done has been in Canada.

However, I see a glimmer of hope in their country.

Today I read in the National Post that the Canadians are starting to get a spine. Their conservative government is voting to eliminate the need to register long-guns. It is not a done deal yet, but it is a start and almost virtually assured to pass.

I take my hat off to Canada. Now, maybe they can jump off their fence-straddling posture and consider helping their buddies to the south – when they need a little help.

Oh well, a guy can always dream...

Shenandoah

1 comment: